Sunday, April 11, 2010

The baby chicks are here!


We have been talking a lot lately about getting chickens. We've had to research how to take care of them and what the city requires of us. Finally, they are here! We are excited for them to grow and produce eggs for us (at least that's what we hope - we won't know their gender until they are big). Stop by and see them!

Here is a video of Cade interacting with them. Despite how the video may seem, he actually really likes them. He has to look at them every time he goes into the kitchen (their temporary home while they are still small).

4 comments:

Erin said...

Curious at why you decided to get chickens. I love the idea. For the eggs? Meat? or for fun?

Austin and Amy Smith said...

We got them mostly for the eggs (food storage if you will), though they have been really fun. We wanted to use them for meat when they stop producing much, but Austin just read this breed is not very good for meat so I'm not sure if we'll do that now. We also just found out they are the loudest and they don't really like human interaction. BUT they are used for commercial egg production because they have the best feed to egg ratio. We're learning :)

Erin said...

How fun. I think it's great. Good luck with it. Fresh eggs are the best.

Amy G said...

We had eggs for a while in Orem when I was a teenager. A racoon broke in and killed two of them and the other two were so scared, they never laid an egg again. Kind of funny and sad. lol

We might call you and bring the boys by some time, I'm sure they'll love it!