Monday, October 11, 2010

Erin Visits

My sister Erin decided she was going to come for a visit a couple of weeks ago. We had a great weekend! She brought lots of fun toys for the kids (making up for past birthdays and holidays) and they really enjoyed playing with her.
Cristina and Ian also brought their family from Idaho. With 5 (Eddie stopped by too but his son was sick so we didn't get their pictures) out of the 8 siblings here, it felt like a mini-reunion.


(Cade & Erin in the morning. Snuggling & watching Monsters, Inc. on her IPhone 4.)

(Coloring on a box with Aunt Maria - much better than paper and not my furniture)

(Bubbles are a hit!)

(Ian, Cristina, Holly, Atley, & Cadence)

(Atley's dinosaur - a favorite toy -becomes scary when turned on)

One of the best parts of the weekend (for me) was getting some quality time doing projects with my sisters. Cristina has been dying to reupholster something and has done a bunch of research, so we decided as part of my "new kitchen" we'd reupholster the kitchen chairs, with the leftover fabric from hemming the curtains.
(Can you see how dirty the chair fabric was? Gross.)

It's actually pretty simple. I'll post more about how to do it on my personal blog if you're curious.

This is the after and before (maybe I should have switched them...)
Satisfied Cristina's creative desire and made my kitchen look even better! We're starting to more regularly work on projects together when we get together and it makes me wish she lived a little closer.
As we worked on the chairs, my sister Maria and I made granola. She made me a big fan this year of Alton Brown's show on the Food Network, "Good Eats". It's about a 20 minute long show I watch when I get a minute or am folding laundry on Youtube. I love it because he teaches you about the science of food. It's clever, quick, and satisfies my craving to know more about food yet doesn't take too much time away from being a mom. I loved the recipe, but I think we'll be trying some others before we settle (and knowing me we'll end up combining them to make our own health concoction).

I loved having my sisters here! Family is such a great blessing in our lives.

No comments: