Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What’s in a Name?

For us? A lot. I find it interesting how everyone goes about naming children differently. What does it include for Austin and Amy Smith?

1. We like to name our children after someone who is a righteous example.

2. We like our children to have one of their own names.

3. We like the name meanings to fit who we’d like them to be and their personality.

Kory David Smith didn’t take us too long to come up with, the problem was agreeing. Austin wanted Kory to be his first name, and I felt his first name should be his own name. After a lot of prayer we finally agreed on Kory David. Here is the name meaning/where it comes from.

 DSC07485

(Kory Dopp, Austin, & Kory David)

Kory – is after Kory Dopp. Austin’s best friend and his rock during his teenage years. Kory helped Austin make good choices, and Austin wanted a friend like him for Cadence. We found out later that Kory Dopp was also named after a good friend of his parents. Kory means God’s Peace. I love the meaning! I think it fits our little contented Kory perfectly.

DSC07480 (Kory Dopp and Kory David Smith)

David – We were flipping through the bible looking for names that went well with Kory and David was one of the final names. It just sounded the best. But I admire so much the faith of young David as he goes up against Goliath. I always emphasize the young part. In fact, as we were facing big trials because he was born little in the hospital, it was the first bible story I recounted to him. Just like young david, our little Kory David is surviving. Kory Dopp’s mom says “Kory’s are survivors” (and I’m a believer). David means beloved and that is the same name meaning as his mother’s name (Amy). That tugged at my heart and made me love the name even more.

DSC07486(Kory, Shay, & Sydney Dopp w/ our Kory David)

No comments: