Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shed Revamp & Garden Update

DSC08374DSC08371Our garden is doing well. Thanks to gardens, Cadence is increasing his taste for more fruits and veggies. He started the season not liking raspberries, and he still doesn’t like them when they’re cold or from the store. But I’m happy to say, if he doesn’t like what I’m feeding him, he’ll ask to play outside and go and pick his own food. When I caught him the first time he said “I like it, Mom”.

He likes to share “treats” with the chickens too, occasionally throwing them a raspberry to pick at. Our two happy leghorns laying eggs daily now. We found several eggs inside the shed and some underneath the deck, so we stopped leaving the cage open at night.

DSC08365DSC08362

Then the chickens got a little too comfortable and started venturing out to the neighbors yard. Since that was how we lost a chicken last year, we no longer let them wander. DSC08364

Caddy, our Americana, is still not laying. She’s more plump than the other breeds and I started joking that if she doesn’t lay soon, we’ll be having her for dinner. Maybe I should say it around her more so she has some motivation.

 DSC08367

DSC08368DSC08372

We became good friends with Adam & Laura Wheeler in our ward. Adam was working construction so Austin recruited him to help with the shed revamp.

 

DSC08357

It was DISCUSTING! I won’t even attempt to elaborate. We’ve been thinking about getting a new shed for awhile, long enough that Austin has some elaborate plans for a shed/greenhouse/chicken coop.

DSC08358One Saturday, Austin started cleaning out our shed and it ended up all over the yard! After he cleaned it out threw away the garbage and reorganized, we actually found it still fit our needs pretty well. Yet the outside still needed some work (thanks to some Utah thunderstorms in the past year). They re-sided the shed and made a chicken run.

 DSC08360 DSC08361         We’re grateful we didn’t have to pay a ton for a new shed (even though it would’ve been AWESOME). Thanks to Adam, Austin was able to find a way to make do with what we already had. We had a yummy dinner at Olive Garden to celebrate. We will miss them (they move to Texas this weekend)!

2 comments:

Kory said...

Guess I'll need to stop by your place sometime to see the after pictures of the shed. :)

Austin and Amy Smith said...

It was a teaser for ya, Kory... I'm actually doing another post where Austin and Matt finished the chicken run, so you'll see it in that one...stay tuned!